Sunday, February 5, 2012

Prayer

I'm continually amazed about how God works through my life; how he sends me messages right when I need them.  I pray at least once a day.  Often Michael and I pray a second time together at night after we finish our devotional.  Here recently we've been discussing patience, which happens to be an area I need a lot of work in.  While we have mainly been talking about patience in the context of marriage, I have been relating our talks to a lot of other areas in my life.  A lot of areas in my life are up in the air right now: We're trying to sell our house and find a new one; I still haven't decided what to do next year in the job world;  When the "right" time is to have a second child.  And while I constantly worry about these things, life continues to happen.  This is where the patience comes in.  I try and say I have faith that God has a plan and He will take care of us.  But at the same time worrying keeps me up at night, which doesn't connect to what I say.

Back to the beginning, I pray every night.  I pray for my friends and family, specifically the ones that I know who need it the most.  I always thank God for my many blessings, especially my wonderful husband and Ryder.  For some reason, I have trouble praying for the things I mentioned before- my "worries."  I look at my life and can't believe how blessed I am.  I'm truly undeserving of everything I have.  I feel guilty praying for a new home when I already have one and there are many who are homeless; worrying about another child when some desperately want one.  This morning we had our all-in-one Sunday, sorta like a modern day revival.  The sermon just happened to be about prayer.  About how we should be praying and talking to God about all the specifics.  Whatever is going on in our lives begins and ends with His grace.  Why wouldn't I be discussing it with Him?  Even if I do get a nicer house it's a gift from him. Here is one verse we discussed:

1 Thessalonians 5:17 pray without ceasing

It seems like such a simple concept, not sure why I didn't see it before.  From now on, petty or not, I will be taking my worries to him.  I truly hope I can have the faith to not worry so much and let God take control. 

1 comment:

  1. Prayer....I am doing a Bible study on James.

    I love what I am learning about prayer and total trust in God's plan to answer.

    Love that you and Michael pray together.

    .mac :)

    ReplyDelete