Sunday, August 28, 2011

Room

Every once in a while, a book comes along that you immediately want to pass on.  Room is one of those books.  This story is so compelling.  I'll be honest, I have no desire to read Jaycee Dugard's memior.  Yes, I know these horrific acts happen in our world, but sometimes the more we know, the more scared we live our lives. I don't want to be naive, but I'd rather live life optimistically. Now that I'm through with my rant, you might be wondering what the two have to do with each other.  Room is about a girl who is captured and kept locked in a room for 7 years at the age of 19.  During this time, she has a son, who is the narrator of this book.  Room lets you see the horrible consequences and psychological aspects of abduction.  It's interesting to read not only about how the mother copes with her abuse, but also how she tries as hard as she can to give her son a normal life.  I mean, how normal can a life be having never been outside of one room?  I am thankful that Room is more focused on the consequences of living in a room for 5 years instead of the abuse itself.  You still learn from it, but it isn't haunting.  I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone.  It gives you a lot to think about and the story goes way beyond the obvious.

No comments:

Post a Comment